Regulations, Legislation and Standards
There are few, if any, regulations surrounding breathability. However, there are a great deal of different testing standards on the subject. Some of the major standards are listed below:
• The sweating guarded hot plate test: BS EN 31092:1994 and ISO 11092: 1993
• The specification for water vapour permeable garments: BS 7209:1990
• Evaporative dish method testing standard: British Standard 7209.
• Similar to evaporative dish method is the Canadian control dish method (CAN2.42-M77, 1977).
• Determination of air permeability: BS 5636 (now superseded by BS EN ISO 9237: 1995)